We Are Lions!


                        In the movie Troy, there is an epic moment before Achilles and his men reach the shores of Troy. The sounds of deafening war drums accompany the battle ship tearing through the ocean.

He yells, “Let no man forget how menacing we are, we are Lions!”

                        I was reminded of this quote last night when I had the honor and true privilege in attending the induction of the new President for the local Renton Lions Club. This is not a group of menacing men but rather the antithesis of citizens devoted to servicing the community. A truly unforgettable group but like Achilles and his menacing warriors they shared a similar spirit. It was an unwavering spirit to fight. In this case they were relentless in the fight to help and serve. They were relentless like the Lion that represented their organization.

Their battle cry may have sounded more like “Let no man forget how relentless in serving we are, we are lions!”

                        Lynn Peretti, the newly inducted President, stood at the front of the room, majestic like Achilles. Battle armor was replaced with radiant pins representing numerous service milestones. She rallied her troops for battle. “Give your time because there is nothing more valuable.” The crowd roared. It’s individuals like these that continue to put the wind in my sail. It was mind boggling to think that every single person in attendance was devoted to the greater cause of helping the community. It is true, great minds do think a like.

                         The evening took me back to reflect on how I even ended up in attendance amidst a group of such selfless philanthropists. It took me back to the moment my fire was sparked with the girl at the coffee shop aspiring to live like a lion herself. It was through her that I had the opportunity to meet Lynn and it was then that I realized she was merely passing on the flame she received from Lynn, the Lioness, to me. How do we repay such individuals like Lynn and the girl at the coffee shop for having such a contagious passion for helping others? The answer became crystal clear. Let your selfless actions exemplify the passion for service in order to inspire others to do the same. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you both.  

                        On the drive home I kept wrestling with the question, “Am I doing enough?” Sure, Hocevar Performance took part in the food drive and contributed to a great cause. But where do we go from here. It was just last week when I walked into the same coffee shop to find the same girl running another service campaign to help with the local animal shelter. These people are truly relentless in their pursuit to help.

Coffee girl, what the heck is in your coffee?

                        I know that now is a time when struggling is more common than not. When our own problems seem to outweigh those of others. The truth is that there is someone, somewhere, in a deeper and darker hole with an outstretched hand. My eyes were opened this night to the challenge of reaching out to grab it. Whether it’s through a business or an individual effort, it all counts. When you can’t decide if you want to or get  tired of helping, remember that there is people like Lynn and the coffee girl who won’t stop. Can’t stop. They are relentless. They are Lions.

           

                       

            

3 Response to "We Are Lions!"

  1. Anonymous says:

    Albert, you are one awsome man. We appreciated you and "coffee girl" attending our meeting last night, but never expected such a fantastic comment from you such as this one. We are very hopeful that our friendship and relationship continues and grows as the spirit you depicted in this comment regarding Lions and the Renton Community. Thank you so very much. Ray Peretti

    Ray the pleasure was all mine. I thank you guys for the comment and I give you my word when I say you haven't seen the last of me or Hocevar Performance. We are going to knock your socks off!

    Lynn Peretti says:

    Albert, you continue to inspire me. What an asset you are becoming to our community. Thank you again for sharing your time with us last night. I do believe you understand what it means to me to be a Renton Lion. Thank you again for all your support and kindness in your words and actions. Lynn

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger