Defining Your Own Training


                         Bosu Balls, Cross-fit, Kettlebells, Spin Classes, and Hot Yoga all dominate our fitness world today. In an industry where fads rule the market and demand attention, it's hard to keep up. It's a constant struggle to keep motivating yourself and to stay inspired. We can not continually rely on the "Next Big thing" to be the logs fueling our fire.

                          I sat daydreaming and thumbing the lid to my Americano in a busy starbucks the other day. The complex array of personalities accompanied by espresso machines working overtime created a difficult environment to concentrate. In the cafe cacophony, one conversation rose above all the noise.



                            A man in his late 20's, revealed his goals for the future to a friend. He was dressed like a J Crew ad and seemed to have is head on straight.

"Yeah times are tough, but I still dream of the same things. A 40 hour a week job, a good 401k, the weekends off, and some paid vacation time."

                             His mirror image of a friend fired back in conversation with words that reassured their goals. They both sighed in agreement.

" I need a house in the suburbs, 2 kids, and maybe a boat. Yeah that would be the life!"

                             My standard smart ass smirk turned into a mean mug as my mind revved at maximum rpm's. I couldn't believe what these two young guys were talking about. They used words like "dream" and phrases like "that would be the life". By no means am I knocking their personal choices in lifestyles and there is nothing wrong with a life filled with comfort. But there has to be something more, right? Passion, drive, inspiration, conviction, you take your pick.

                           It's very possible that I am wired differently. They do say I am a little bit like the black sheep of the family. Maybe I have different blood cells that pump through my veins. Maybe I am missing or have an additional chromosome in my DNA, but their conversation didn't sit well in my stomach.

                           I guess Michelangelo said it best,

              "The greatest danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

                          That very moment, in cookie cutter Starbucks, I vowed never to settle for comfort like those guys. I mean, they were practically the same age as me, 23. It echoed in my skull. Strive for unrealistically high goals so when you reach them, you can conquer new ones.

                           This is the same mentality and philosophy we should be taking to training. It doesn't matter what your workout goals are. Whether your striving to become a professional athlete or training to lose 30 lbs. It's more than what lies on the surface. I truly feel that we all have an engraved mindset for self improvement and in a chaotic world, that innate thought process is often buried under bullshit.

                            Why do you workout? Is it to lose 30 pounds and look good in a bathing suit. That's probably what your mind will tell you at first but when you sift past societies brainwash bull, you know that training has the power to change your entire fu*king life. Self-confidence, more energy, health, and a revitalization of that innate vigor for life. These things are the very ingredients that sustain us all.



                            I honestly feel bad for the next person to ask me "Why are you training so hard?" or "What are you training for all the time?" because I'm going to lay it down hard with a chip on my freaking shoulder. There are only a few things in this world that I can fully take pride in and put my personal stamp of approval on. In order is God, Family, Friends, Health/training, and your Legacy. These are the very things that ignite the explosion in life for me.


                             Training has climbed the hierarchy mountain to become a lifestyle and not some hobby like collecting snow globes. No offense. I train to maximize my potential mentally, spiritually, and physically. Have you ever been stressed out and decided to go for a run, only to find that you have a certain peace after you physically drained yourself. Or have you ever been on an endurance testing hike, to find yourself standing at the top, overwhelmed with a strange feeling of Joy. It's what we were designed to do, hence the "hunter and gatherer" description of homosapiens. Our bodies are designed to chase down meat and gather food up to 10-12 hours a day in order to survive. Without this physical stimulation we lose something.


                            Don't even let my hierarchy chart influence your thought process. Reject the media's consistent pursuit of defining your reasoning behind working out and training. You need to define your own philosophy for training. It needs to be dangerously personal so that inconsistency and set backs aren't an option.

                           To the two guys I eavesdropped on, I want to sincerely thank you. Next time both of your coffees are on me. Your conversation reassured the way I live my life. Your comfortable vision poured gasoline on my fire and refocused my aim even hire. Your perception of "the good life" reinforced my pedal to the floor mentality. Go big or get the fu*k out of the way.

The innate drive is there, it's just under all the bullshit.


                     

2 Response to "Defining Your Own Training"

  1. Anonymous says:

    wow. helluva piece buddy.

    Anonymous says:

    Well I'm pumped

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger